maanantai 22. huhtikuuta 2013

An open mind

“Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one” - Malcolm S. Forbes
To be open minded, as Malcolm Forbes is trying to say, means you are open to new things. For example to new foods and to try new sports. In the dictionary, the definition for open minded is: ”Receptive to new ideas or to reasons; free from prejudice or bias.”


But does education help you to became open minded, like Malcolm Forbes is trying to say? In my opinion no. I have learned to be open minded from my parents, but my father mostly. I remember being young and I did not want to try a new food that he had made or we bought from somewhere, but he always reminded me to stay open minded. Now that I have written this far I am going to change my mind on Forbes's quote. Education does give an open mind by teaching us things and us wanting to go further with it. Although this is hard to explain, i'm sure everyone at some point has heard something in school and gone home that day and tried it themselves and sometimes they just might want to go a little further.


In close, Malcolm Forbes's quote is right, but also wrong. An open mind is “obtained” mostly by how you see people in life and and how you are taught in life. Your educational years also teach you, but then again we're always learning.

2 kommenttia:

  1. I think you'r text is good and I totally agree with it! Your text really made me think about the topic and what does it really mean in life.

    VastaaPoista
  2. It was interesting to notice how your thought process developed during writing, and in the end you actually partly changed your initial opinion. That's what often happens when you write your thoughts down. You are so right in saying that we're always learning. One of the fundamental purposes of modern education is to help students in their path of lifelong learning.

    VastaaPoista